Header photo

Header photo

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Ralph Lauren Tweed Half-Norfolk Jacket

Ralph Lauren Tweed Half-Norfolk Jacket



Hello Tweed lovers, I had meant to write a review of this Ralph Lauren Polo tweed jacket in rust brown since this past February, when I picked it up on eBay, but I simply ran out of time and so decided to hold off until this winter.  Well, I can tell you that among the many tweeds that I own, this is perhaps the most heavily built.  This Tweed, while being unlined, this as thick as on one of the old boiled wool Army blankets that we had during my childhood (but much better looking).  Perfect for the cold winter days and night of Bavaria.  In fact, I would say that with an Aran Sweater and a good scarf, this jacket would keep you as warm and just about any winter coat.

Classic Norfolk Jacket Pocket Details:
One of the things that I love most about the Norfolk and Half Norfolk jackets are the patch pockets with button flap detailing and most usually made with expandability style pleats.  Not only are these style pockets more visually interesting (to me at least), but they can also hold more, are more rugged, and with the inclusion of buttons flaps, are more secure at holding whatever of value you may put in them.  An extra plus is that these have a more vintage style than typical pockets. Like most Norfolk country jackets, this features high-quality woven leather buttons, which just adds to the country feel.








The Weave Close-ups:
Provided for my own enjoyment and for that of my tweed obsessed brethren: The pattern of this tweed weave is sort of a brown melange features brown, rust, orange, tan, beige and cream colors as well as a very subtle hint of soft olive. The overall weave of this tweed has so many great colors incorporated and with such subtlety, that from only a foot away, it gives a very unified rust/brown appearance. It is only from very near that one can admire these beautiful color tones from which it is comprised:




  
The Lining/Inside:
This jacket is only half-lined at the shoulder and in the sleeves but the remainder of the seams in the inside of this jacket are very neatly finished - a sure sign of great quality construction.  


Wearing:
Since I purchased this jacket in mid to late winter last year, I have only had a couple of opportunities to wear it, but have been very happy with the overall fit and very high-quality construction, here are some photo so my last wearing, which works, I think, very well with my newly arrived flannel-lined chinos from Lands End (a review will soon be forthcoming on these) and Blue Chambray shirt from Charles Tyrwhitt, a cream Aran Sweater, and Black Watch wool tie from Curzon Classics.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Landless Gentry blog Is..

This blog has been percolating in the back of my brain for a while and I think now it's time to just dig in.  I will be sharing with ...