Header photo

Header photo

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirts from Lands End

Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirts from Lands End
Oxford Cloth Button-Down Shirts from Lands End


I had been looking for reasonably priced Oxford Cloth Button Down shirts (hereafter being referenced as OCBD) for a while and while I had been happy with the Oxford stripe OCBD that I purchased from Arket (which I had reviewed last March), as wanted to try traditional American brands such as Lands End or LL Bean.  I am not opposed to buying more expensive shirts, but the pricing from companies such as Brooks Brothers, J. Press and Mercier & Sons including shipping and import duties put those a bit beyond my budget.  Lands End has a distributor and website right here in Germany, which means no expensive shipping and customs duties and they often have substantial sales.  Many of my readers will know that I love a good sale (having learned from my mother many years ago, to never pay full price for clothes, as the markup on retail is eyewatering).  Having found my deal, I ordered these preppy/Ivy classics: White, Light Blue and Oxford Stripe (which they call BAYSHORE BLUE STRIPE).

White Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

Blue Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

White Collar - Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

Sleeve detail - White Collar - Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

button detail - Sleeve detail - White Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

Locker loop - White Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End


Blue Collar - Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

Oxford stripe Collar - Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

I got their Tailored Fit OCBD (size 16" x 35"), which is a bit more fitted than their Traditional Fit.  These shirts had all the classic detailing that I love on a good OCBD, including a trim, but not a tight fit, a 7 button front placket, center pleats in the back, a locker loop, 2 button adjustable cuffs, gauntlet buttons, and left breast pocket.  About the only details that I would have like to have added is a back collar button and a slightly longer collar point of 3 inches, instead of their 2 3/4 inches, but these details for me at least does not justify spending another $100 to have a custom shirt made.  I would say that overall the fit is perfect.

Packaging:
As one would expect for this price range, these shirts didn't arrive in fancy packaging, however, I find this to be totally acceptable because since it's just so much less waste heading to the landfill.

3 Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirts from Lands End


The cloth is a nice medium/heavyweight Oxford Cloth that feels substantial enough that I expect these shirts to last for many years of regular wear.  The cloth is 100 % Supima cotton with a non-iron finish, which is nice in that I can keep them crispt with a quick iron (I prefer my shirts with a crisp, but not starched finish).  I tend to wear the Oxford stripe version of this shirt the most because I just find it a bit more sporty/casual that the white and light blue, but even with the additional wearings, I find this shirt to shows absolutely no evidence of the extra wear.  I look forward to wearing these shirts for many years to come.

Modeling Oxford Stripe Oxford stripe Collar - Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

wModeling white - Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

Modeling Oxford Stripe - Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

Modeling Oxford Stripe - Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End

Modeling Oxford Stripe - Oxford Cloth Button Down Shirt from Lands End


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Landless Gentry blog Is..

This blog has been percolating in the back of my brain for a while and I think now it's time to just dig in.  I will be sharing with ...