Header photo

Header photo

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Arrival of My Grail Jacket: Ralph Lauren Green Tweed Messenger Jacket!!

Green-tweed-messenger-jacket-by-ralph-lauren


  • Super excited by the arrival of this jacket, which I really fell in love with since seeing it online 2 or 3 years ago (see photo below), but since Ralph Lauren Tweed jackets are typically beyond my budget and the fact that this jacket when I discovered it was for a previous year collection and completely sold out, the solution was to keep an eye peeled on eBay and hope that one would go up for auction that I could afford.  Searching tweed jackets on eBay is something that I do often, but not what I would call obsessively.  Since I'm in Germany, I typically search the German or UK eBay on occasion, usually for Harris Tweed, which if you follow this blog, you'll know that I have a love for.  In any case about a month ago, this 'Grail Tweed' popped up on eBay UK and for a low starting bid that I could justify.  Knowing that if might be years before one came up again in my size, I put in an offer, which was just over the starting bid price.  This offer was proptly rejected by the seller (understandably so, as these jackets are very desirable to Ralph Lauren collectors).  So, I scheduled a bid that I could afford through Ezsnipper.com and crossed my fingers.  Long story short, and a week later (miracle of miracles), I won my jacket and at only a small bump over my initial offer price!


Ralph Lauren ad photo that sold me on this jacket

Ralph Lauren ad photo that sold me on this jacket


A week later it arrived at my door and in beautiful, nearly new condition.  The seller had said that he had only worn the jacket a few times and based on its condition, I think he was telling the truth.  I hung the jacket outside for a few hours to get the musty closet smell out and now I've got my nearly new grail Tweed and for a fraction of retail price.  So what's not to love?  Nothing!




The fit for me is pretty ideal, I know from experience that Ralph Lauren jackets are cut a bit leaner than most old-style Harris Tweed jackets in my collection, so instead of a 42R, I knew to be on the lookout for a 44R.



The Close-ups:
Provided for my own enjoyment and for that of my tweed obsessed brethren.  The Tweed cloth is a splendid olive green with shades of forest green and golden beige mixed in too, which gives the cloth its wonderful tweedy depth.  Certainly not a Harris Tweed, I'm not sure what cloth mill produced this fabulous weave, but the jacket was tailored in Italy, so my guess would be that it was woven in the UK or Italy.  Interestingly the blend is Lambswool 65% and Alpaca 35%, giving it a bit fuzzy, but extremely soft hand and drape and also makes it very warm without a lot of bulk






The details:
Of course, Ralph Lauren has released a numerous versions of the half-Norfolk jacket over the years, (see my previous review of Ralph Lauren Tweed Half-Norfolk Jacket), but the details of this jacket are really extraordinary and make it for me at least especially desirable.


  • Wonderfully shaped expandable patch pocket
  • Exterior pocket flaps with terrific scallop shape and leather button closure
  • 3 button front closure with leather buttons
  • 4 button sleeves (non-functioning)
  • Belt back
  • Action back or swing back sleeves
  • Single vent in back
  • buggy lined
  • Tailored in Italy 
  • Woven from 65% lambswool and 35% alpaca for warmth and softness








Styling the Ralph Lauren Green Tweed Messenger Jacket:
It's pretty easy to work with: A pair of chinos, some boots and perhaps a flat cap and you are halfway there:

Styling the Ralph Lauren Green Tweed Messenger Jacket


Styling the Ralph Lauren Green Tweed Messenger Jacket - bowtie

Styling the Ralph Lauren Green Tweed Messenger Jacket

Styling the Ralph Lauren Green Tweed Messenger Jacket



2 comments:

  1. Love the jacket and the look. What a great find. Just my size so let me know when you’re ready to get rid of it LOL. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do, although I don't typically see items unless they no longer fit me, which I don't anticipate:)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Landless Gentry blog Is..

This blog has been percolating in the back of my brain for a while and I think now it's time to just dig in.  I will be sharing with ...