Header photo

Header photo

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Newly Arrived and Just in Time to for Spring/Summer a Straw Boater Hat from Gamble & Gun


Those of you who have been following The Landless Gentry blog for a while will know of my fondness for the classic Boater Hat.  It's accessory for Spring and Summer that adds a great deal of character and a huge dash of style to just about any traditional summertime outfit (this is true of both men and women).  Last year having acquired a Panama boater hat with I still love, I've decided for this year to add a more traditional stiff straw boater.  During my online searching, I kept coming back to this very special Boater hat from England's Gamble & Gunn hatters.  Located in Devon, UK, this traditional hatter have a really wonderful and informative website offering everything from tweed caps and traditional felt hat to a couple of models of straw boater.



The model I purchased is their Striped Ribbon Boater that I found to be more interesting an unique that the typical boater hat with black ribbon (and since my Panama boater has a black ribbon, I was looking for something a bit different).  Quoting from their website:

'We have commissioned one of Britain’s oldest firms Toye Kenning & Spencer to create our custom ribbon trim. Still run by the Toye family, the firm has grown and diversified since its foundation in 1685 however its original values are unchanged- superb craft skills, quality, and service. The company holds a royal warrant from her Majesty the Queen as supplier of gold & silver laces, insignia, and embroidery and was commissioned to manufacture the medal presented to serving personnel in celebration of the Queens Diamond Jubilee.'

Needless to say, I was smitten.  Having ordered, the hat arrived very quickly to me here in Germany from England packed nicely and I must say, I couldn't be more pleased.  The hat itself having been made in England is of very high-quality construction and the ribbon is stunning.  Inside a Gamble & Gunn's great looking label and a very nice wide genuine leather sweatband.  I ordered a size larger that is recommended because I wanted to add some padding for my unique long oval head shape to add a bit more comfort (these hats are pretty stiff) and with the addition of a bit of foam inside the sweatband, the hat now fits me well.  I'm looking forward to warming summer days wearing my great new hat, which I fully expect to wear with joy for many years to come.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Landless Gentry blog Is..

This blog has been percolating in the back of my brain for a while and I think now it's time to just dig in.  I will be sharing with ...